Unlike my all other posts that were based on products reviews, this one is a lot different. In this post I will share my thoughts that I have experienced myself while staying fit and healthy. I am sure all of you must have had these thoughts or ideas at some point but you never paid attention to them. Believe me, if we actually start mulling over these trivial points we will never get obese or overweighted. There will never be a shopping spree when we buy a size larger than our actual size to create the illusionary slim frame. Well, did you ever imagine that losing weight can be as easy as playing video games? If you do not agree with me then read further. 😉
1) To start with let’s have a look at our eating habits. Most of the times when we are hungry we start munching on any edible stuff that comes in our sight. It may be in refrigerator, snack cans or on the shelves, we just put it in our mouths completely overlooking the calorie intake. If we should replace all these snacks and high calorie food with fruits and low calorie substitutes we can stop ourselves from putting on those deliberate extra calories.
2) The other most important thing is to adhere to physical activities, keep your body moving and stretching. Ideally you should spend 30—40 minutes daily in exercise but if you cannot devote that much time then indulge yourself in hobbies that involve physical activity such as dance, tennis, badminton, etc. You should not wait for a specific day such as 1st of the month or following Monday to start your exercise regimen, any day is a good day. Even if you are exercising 2 times a week it is ok, you do not need to follow a 5 or 6 day strict routine. If you cannot do that as well then prefer activities that involve moving your body for example: when doorbells rings volunteer to open the door, when your maid takes a day off you take the mopping job.
3) The next thing that most of us do wrong is leave for shopping without filling our stomachs. Usually, outside food is half cooked or unprocessed and full of oil, calories and maida. All these ingredients are unhealthy and indigestive that instigate digestive problems thus increase your calorie intake many folds. To avoid or say minimize outside food intake you should always eat well before stepping out of the house. If your stomach is already full there are fewer chances that you will surrender to the tempting aroma of outside food.
4) Increase your fluid intake. In addition to green tea, milk, fruit and vegetable juices drink at least 7-8 glasses of water a day. Fluids possess few calories and are easier to digest as compared to solid food. But try to stick to homemade fluids as long as possible. There are many fruit juice brands in the market that claim to provide preservative free juices but in my opinion it is next to impossible to store a fruit juice for six months in a tetra-pack without adding any artificial flavors or preservatives. I always prefer to extract juice from fresh fruits. This type of juice is devoid of all the chemicals, and has more nutritive value.
5) All of us are used to 3 meals a day but we do not eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper rather we eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a richer king and dinner like the richest king. Well, actually you should divide your meals in 4 to 5 portions and devour small quantity in each portion, which is easily digestible until you have your next meal.
6) Also your food consumption depends on the size of your utensils. If you have big utensils you pour large quantities of food, and end up eating more. So if you replace your huge coffee mugs and other utensils with smaller ones you can reduce your calorie intake. Plus, you should always satisfy just 80% of your appetite, when you finish your meal there should always be some space for a glass of warm milk.
7) Since quite long, I have been drinking warm water in the morning. It helps in shedding of extra calories and improves digestive system. Sometimes, I also mix a few drops of lemon juice and honey to a glass of lukewarm water for that extra toning effect. This concoction if taken daily helps in keeping your body toned.
8) In my handbag I always keep a small container which is either full of dry fruits or amla candies or roasted black channe. These things are nutritious and come a lot handy when I suffer from hunger pangs. Seriously, I cannot stand hunger. Earlier I used to eat snacks to curb my appetite but now these substitutes that I always keep with me have good nutritious value and I do not feel the calorie-consumption guilt anymore.
9) Always keep yourself busy in one or other activity. If you are sitting idle, most likely you would start munching on chips or chocolates to kill your free time. So try to engross yourself in physical or mental activities to make good use of your time and to stay away from putting on extra calories.
10) Lastly, never ever buy loose clothes to look slim. If you start buying clothes larger than your actual size then like other people you will also start feeling the wrong perception about yourself- the one of fit and fine. When actually you are not fit but you have only created an illusion for others and now you are also trapped into it. Instead go for your actual size, doing so will encourage you to make efforts to fit in those clothes, and actually lose weight.
All these suggestions are based on my real experiences/feelings. I thought if I share them you would get some benefit from them because at the end we all wish to stay fit and healthy.
You might also like reading these related topics
Effectiveness and Benefits of Yoga in Daily Life
You must know these 5 things if you sit in front of computer for long hours!
How to maintain body weight – stay fit and healthy
How to get an hourglass figure !