Have you ever wondered how celebrities always manage to flaunt flawless smooth skin? Even when they feign they are following the n*de look trend, their skin looks adorable- the one to die-for. I won’t say that that flawless skin is 100% made up but yes makeup base definitely contributes in giving that perfect skin. The rest of the work can be left up to strict exercise regimen, which I am not at all following these days 😥 (the more alarms I set the lazier I get), and healthy diet. If you diligently follow the latter two routines then just applying the makeup base will impart your skin that perfect feel and look.
The term ‘Makeup base’ usually comprises of makeup primer and foundation. I assume that you are already aware of foundation – the one makeup product (other than lipsticks ;-)) I have been seeing since childhood. When I was a kid I used to get attracted to foundation bottles on my Mom’s makeup drawer. Their color and packaging always fanaticized me even though I never knew how to make use of them. The result was spilling them all over my clothes and on the floor, followed by a terrible berating from Mom (bad days indeed). I remember emptying 3 foundation bottles like this. But I have learnt their use and things changed over time, and my Mom is really happy that I do not waste them any more . Back to makeup base, if you do not know much about makeup primer then here is a brief introduction:
What is a makeup primer :
Makeup primer is just like a paint primer. The paint primer is a preparatory coating put on objects before painting. It provides a smooth adhesive surface for the final paint, thereby ensuring better adhesion of paint to surface and more longevity of paint. Similarly, a makeup primer is applied before starting off with makeup in order to get a smooth canvas (face) and to increase the durability of makeup. Makeup primer makes the makeup stay intact for long duration without any streakiness or settling in crevices and fine lines.
Here are a few tips and tricks to apply makeup primer:
1) It is advisable to apply the makeup primer on top of the moisturizer, and before applying foundation. Some people also prefer to apply makeup primer after foundation. You can go with either ways as long as that increases makeup durability.
2) For day makeup, apply moisturizer, sunscreen and then makeup primer. Wait for at least 5 minutes after you have applied sunscreen/moisturizer and before you apply primer.
3) Once the primer is on, again give it some time to set before applying foundation or next makeup product.
4) A small drop (the size of a pea) is sufficient. Softly dab it on to skin, focusing on scars, dark circles and fine lines. Now, lightly using your fingers rub it into the skin in outward direction. Also, pat it onto the eye lids to make a strong base for eye makeup.
5) Dab a little primer on lips to prevent lipstick from bleeding or settling into fine lines.
6) A thin primer layer provides better adhesion than a thick one. So stick to the minimum rule unless you are required to use it more on places such as crow’s feet and jaw line.
7) Before purchasing primer or foundation, ensure that the chemicals of both the products are not repellant to each other. It is not necessary to go for the same brand as different brands also provide sturdy adhesion. If opting for different brands ask SA if the two things are going to work together or not.
8) Usually, makeup primer is not required if you are using powder base blushes or eye shadows.
9) If you have oily skin tone or if you go for oil/cream base makeup products then primer is a must. It prevents makeup from crumpling and smudging by absorbing excess oil.
10) For the n*de look, you do not need to apply the foundation. Take a tinted primer, apply it on moisturizer and there you go with an even flawless skin.
I hope these tips will prove useful to you. In case, you know about any other tips and tricks to apply makeup primer do share them with us.
You might also like reading these related topics
How To Fill Eyebrows – Makeup Tutorial
How To Do Black Smokey Eye Makeup – Makeup Tutorial
Basic Makeup Brushes For Beginners
How to apply liquid eyeliner on top eye lid – Makeup Tutorial
How to make the lipstick stay longer
How to apply blush – Makeup Tutorial