How To Take Care Of Your Lips In Winter
My third winter care post is all about lips. Usually, we do not pay much attention to lips so they become dry and flaky. We color them up but forget to take care of them. But in reality, lips need much more attention than any other body part, reason being they do not contain oil glands. This is why they need proper moisture and care, especially during winters, to save them from dryness, cracks and even bleeding. The harsh winter climate strip our skin of its moisture, so you can imagine the harm it causes to lips that do not have natural moisture restore system. Our facial skin has oil glands that protect it from dryness but as lips do not have oil glands so we need to follow a disciplined routine to maintain their supple and soft feel. All you need to do is tweak your daily care regime a bit, and you are all set to combat winter dryness.
1) First it is very important to get rid of your dead skin from time to time so that new skin tissues get space to grow. To do so you should weekly exfoliate your lips using either readymade or homemade lip scrubs. For homemade scrub, mix one spoon of sugar with half spoon of honey, scrub the mixture on your lips for 1 minute and rinse thoroughly, followed by moisturizer.
2) During winter season, cold conditions contribute to lip chapping and dryness so after bathing or face wash, gently rub towel on your lips to avoid chapping and dead skin accumulation. You can do this activity every alternate day.
3) Moisturizing is the most important factor in winters. You should keep a lip balm handy, carry it in your handbag and keep reapplying it after every few hours. Ideally, beeswax lip balms and petroleum jelly work best in healing dry chapped lips. At night you should apply desi ghee or honey to recuperate lips from the damage of harsh cold weather.
4) Again drink plenty of fluids to keep your skin well-hydrated. How can you even forget drinking water! It does more good to your skin than those expensive creams do.
5) Most of us have a habit of licking or chewing our lips. Irrespective of how itchy your lips feel do not bite, lick or chew them. If you keep on licking your lips again and again this will aggravate their condition and can even cause bleeding. Plus, frequently touching your lips with hands may generate bacteria, which then could worsen lips’ problem.
6) If you have a habit of wearing lipstick or lip gloss regularly, then use lip balm underneath or prefer lipstick/lip gloss with moisturizing ingredient. And never ever forget to apply a moisturizer after removing your lipstick/lip gloss.
I hope these tips will prove useful to you in combatting winter dryness and chapped lip problem. If you know other lip care tips please share them in comment section below. I would love to hear from you.
You might also like reading these related topics