Recently, I had to attend a close relative’s marriage and I was all set with makeup and dress styling but the one big pop that suddenly appeared at the center of the left cheek acted as a bummer. No matter how hard I tried to conceal it but the fear of accidentally touching that continuously paining zit was annoying in itself. And on the top, when everybody kept saying “ Oh, your pimple is looking quite prominent – must be paining a lot” was like putting salt on the wound. Anyhow, I managed to do away with that night but after I reached home the first thing that came to mind my mind was to write this post – How To Keep Your Skin Acne Free In Monsoon Season.
A lot of us suffer from painful acne before/after/during the onset of monsoon season. Though everybody has her own version of dealing with acne, and most of the girls I have met usually squeeze the pimple to get early relief but I do not find myself getting in accord with that idea. Well not only that one but many more. So, here is what I think we should follow when our skin is bombarded with pimple and acne.
1. Salicylic acid face wash: I have combination to oily skin that is a temporary home for acne. There have been many phases in my life so far when I have found myself incapable of tolerating the pain and unevenness on my face, and thus have taken shelter in a dermatologist’s clinic. The one common thing that most of these visits led to was the inclusion of Salicylic acid face wash. Salicylic acid helps in combatting inflammation and redness, and gives relief from pain and pops. If you are in the same boat you should also include this ingredient in your skin cleansing routine.
2. Do not over wash your face: One of the common mistakes that girls do when they see a flood of pimples is start washing their face numerous times a day. Unfortunately, excess wash leads to over drying of skin and triggers the sebum glands to produce more oil, which further causes bacteria accumulation and thus pimples. So, irrespective of pimple or no pimple wash your face just twice a day – morning and night.
3. Do not skip moisturizer: This is also one of the very common mistakes that girls who get pimples do. Moisturizer can be a cause of pimples but only if it is inappropriate for your skin or if it makes the skin sticky or shine like a tube light. All you need to do is replace it with a light moisturizer. After all acne prone skin too has moisturizing needs and if you are not keeping it hydrated just because of pimples then situation can get worse. Keep applying a light moisturizer for healthy and fresh looking skin.
4. Go easy on exfoliation: Some people say that we should stick to a regular exfoliation regimen even when the skin is going through a bad phase. But my personal experience says that when I have pimples exfoliation just does not work for me. In this phase I prefer to skip exfoliating scrubs as I feel their absence tend to bring relief more early. However, now and then I do apply homemade face packs to remove tanning.
5. Eat a balanced diet: Include fresh fruits and veggies in diet, and drink lots of water. Avoid dairy products as I have heard some people say that unpasteurized dairy products also cause acne. Though there is no proof to support this saying but as long as my skin goes through acne I ensure that I reduce dairy products’ consumption.
6. Change your pillow case regularly: In monsoon season, because of excessive humidity in the atmosphere bacteria growth happens very fast. Especially on pillows there is high probability of bacteria. Pillows absorb oil from our face and become a preferable ground for microbes, and if we do not change the pillow cases regularly these microbes can transfer to our skin and cause acne. Usually, I change the pillow cover after every two days but in monsoon season I increase this frequency to every other day.
7. Avoid touching your face or squeezing acne: For the same reason we should not be touching our face. Our hands come in contact with many contaminated things and if we use the same hands on face the microbes get transferred and harm the skin. If there is a dire need to touch the face make sure you do that after sanitizing or washing your hands with soap.
8. Apply lemon juice locally where you have acne or pimples: Lemon juice helps in getting rid of redness and pain. It dries out pimples sooner than their usual span. You can also use curd water as it also serves the same purpose. Applying lemon juice 4-5 times a day just on pimples helps in early relief from pain and diminishes the scars.
9. Drink green tea: Green tea contains tons of antioxidants that are beneficial for the skin. You can use green tea for a healthy alternative to milk. Drinking green tea also helps in reducing inflammation and makes the skin ready to fight with acne.
10. Avoid deep fried food and sweet products: I am sure you must have been following this as they first thing that everybody skips when acne starts popping out is deep fried food. Though once is a while it does not harm but regular consumption of fried food can upset the metabolism and cause acne. Similarly, over consumption of unnatural sugar can also become a source of acne. However, eating fresh fruits and juices that also have sugar content does not do harm as the sugar found in these fruits is all natural.
You might also like reading these related topics:
Monsoon Skin Care Tips For Fresh & Healthy Skin
Skin Care Tips To Reduce Fine Lines And Open Pores-Early Signs Of Ageing
Homemade Multani Face Packs For Acne-Free Fair And Glowing Skin
Homemade Curd Face Packs for Glowing And Tan-Free Skin
5 Refreshing Homemade Face Packs For Summers
5 ‘Instant Glow’ Skin Care Tips From Kitchen
5 Aloe Vera Homemade Face Packs For Hydrated Flawless Skin
5 Homemade Besan Face Packs For Soft Glowing Skin
Revise daily skin care routine
How Watermelon and Cucumber Face Pack Helps Getting Clear Glowing Skin
5 Natural beauty benefits of lemon juice